Monday, January 7, 2008
Well, I was waiting until we got the results from the bone morrow biopsy they did on Friday but we are still waiting. We did talk with the doctors today about being discharged, and they have given us a tentative discharge date of tomorrow. Of course this all depends on how he does through the night and tomorrow. He has made a lot of progress the last couple of days, and as of about 11:00 today they turned off his nutrition because he has to be eating and drinking on his own for us to go home. So far today, he hasn't eaten anything, but he has been drinking lots. Gosh, this sounds like normal healthy Elijah!! The doctors this morning did remind us that his is still in the induction phase of chemo for a very serious disease, so he's not going to feel like eating much but we just need to keep offering. They also talked about starting an appetite stimulant that they give some of their patients that have a little more trouble eating, so we might start that. They also found two soars in his mouth (bummer), so they are going to start him on an antibiotic to help prevent any infections and we will keep giving that to him as long as he is immune supprest. They are also going to start a medication that we swab in his mouth to help prevent thrush. Elijah seem very sore today every time we try and move him or have to touch him. We are trying to encourage him to get up and moving, but he now fights us every time we try and do that. We did get him to go to the play room today when they were having an activity, and also fought him all the way through a bath. It's so hard because he is tired from not getting a good nights rest, and for that matter so are we. We have just decided that even if he could sleep better, the nurses are in so much that it's a very restless night. We are crossing our fingers that we can go home tomorrow, but we'll have to wait and see. We will be going to the oncology clinic in Des Moines the day after we are discharged from here. They want to get some preliminary labs on him and also do lots of teaching with us. It sounds like we will be going about twice a week for labs and once or twice a week for treatment. Wouldn't that be great if they would coordinate them to be on the same day!! I'm not counting on it. Well, if we hear anything more today I will put an update on, otherwise probably just tomorrow. Have a good night! We love you all!!