Thursday, December 27, 2007
It's been a long full day of events, some okay and others hard. Elijah had been on CPAP until about 13:30 and his little body just couldn't handle it anymore and they decided he would be better off back on the ventilator. After they did that the doctor came out and said she was glad that they decided to do it then because his vocal cords were actually touching and if they waited too much longer they might not have been able to get control of his airway. He seems so much more comfortable and peaceful even though we hate seeing him this way. We got the definitive results back from pathology and it is indeed what the preliminary results showed (t-cell ALL). B-cell is the most common, but this is a close second with the kind of treatment and technology they have now. The oncologist sat down with us and started explaining the treatment, and WOW brain overload!!! They talked with us for about an hour and we got what would specifically happening in the first phase that will last anywhere from 2-4 weeks. There is way too much to explain on here, but I can tell you a lot of potential scary things could happen so I'm glad we are here for now. The other reason for the intubation is to place the port in his chest for further chemo treatments. The port is actually surgically placed under his skin and should stay for the full three years of treatments to come as long as it doesn't become compromised. They plan to do that in the am. They did a spinal tap shortly after they intubated him to collect some spinal fluid. Sometimes the cancer cells can hide in different places of the body such as the cerebral spinal fluid and the meninges in the brain, so they collected this to see if there is any there yet. They were pleased with the way the procedure went and we should have the preliminary results back hopefully later today, and the definitive tomorrow. They also gave the first of his chemotherapy medications through the spinal tap at exactly 15:08. His CO2 level had climbed to 90 from 70 and that was another big concern. They drew labs right after they intubated him, and his CO2 level was almost perfect. It's clear to everyone that this was the best move. They plan to give him another chemo med later today that's actually a steroid called prednisone. This will ultimately help when they take the breathing tube back out to keep his vocal cords from being as swollen like the first time. My brain needs a break, I will update when I can. Thanks for the prayers and kindness. Love you!!