Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hi there all!! We were able to come home on Sunday afternoon. Dr Al-Zein said that he was breaking his own rules because Elijah's counts had dropped even more, but he trusted us that we would bring him back if he got a fever. Nothing grew on the cultures and he stayed fever free so thankfully we were able to come home. It was the first time I had heard Elijah say that he didn't want to come home. He was having so much fun with all of the toys and felt fine, not to mention he had mom and dad 24/7 with our full attention!!! I would be loving it too. After the first day of pokes, they weren't really doing much to him so he thought it was a-okay! We are back to our normal routine now at home and it's just much better for all of us. We are continuing to do the radiation this week, and I can't wait for it to be over. Today was the first time he has been in a good mood to start, and actually woke up in an okay mood too. I had his favorite chips waiting for him so I think that helped!! We will for sure remember that the next couple of days. I had the radiology tech take some pictures of him with the radiation mask on and the machine they use so I posted those for everyone to see. The mask is actually a little disturbing. Good thing he has never seen it or even know that he wears it! Elijah will probably be getting more blood and platelet transfusions in the next week or two. He won't be getting anymore chemo until his counts (his ANC) are up to 750. Since they are at about 20 right now, Dr. Al-Zein said that it might be a couple of weeks before he can start up again. This also means that as long as the ANC is low, he is at high risk of fevers and hospital admissions. Lets all pray for big numbers next time he has his counts checked. That's all for now, Love you all!!!

4 comments:

Laura Bernard said...

Glad you didn't have to stay long and glad that Elijah didn't mind the stay. I'm so impressed that he made it that long without a fever. We'll pray that that continues!

Mark, Holly and Boys said...

Those mask pictures are a bit un-nerving, but I think it's awesome that you're documenting all the details of this journey for him...and I bet he'll think those pictures are pretty cool someday :)

Dan and Amanda Arrhenius said...

I have been out of town for a couple of weeks and have not checked blogs in quite a while! Sooo...it is great to get an update on Elijah! I am so thrilled to hear about the fundraiser on the 8th. We will be there! I have posted about it on my blog to inform any whom may have not heard about it. Hang in there my dear! You guys are amazingly strong! Elijahs picture is printed up placed on our refrigerator. Madeleine loves to walk past it and talk about Elijah getting better! We love you and are cheering you on!
Amanda and Family

Robyn said...

I was just checking in to get caught up on what's going on. I hope things are going well and that you are still able to stay home. We think and pray for your family often.
We are looking forward to the fundraiser!